Putian Hospitals and Baidu Affair News is abuzz after the death of Wei Zexi, a 21 year old cancer patient getting treatment at a Putian Hospital affiliated cancer center inside of a PLA hospital died from the apparent inefficacy of a treatment marketed as a state-of-the-art medical breakthrough. Wei Zexi found the hospital after a search result on Baidu pointed him to the Putian Hospital center. Wei Zexi published his story of suffering and his family's subsequent bankruptcy due to hefty medical costs, and the tide of internet-fueled Chinese … [Read more...] about Putian and Baidu: Conmen of China
China Private Hospitals Market & Issues
Truly a China Private Hospitals Encyclopedia
Out of all of our archives on the site, only our archive of writing on China private hospitals can be called an "encyclopedia" as we have it titled here.
Our China private hospitals encyclopedia is some 125+ articles strong, composed of thoughts that span back to 2008 when you'd been hard pressed to find any sort of analysis of the China hospital market.
We have organized below what we believe are some of the key issues facing players in the China private hospitals market, and this list does not even include the various regulatory issues that concern the hospital market. We have regulatory, China healthcare company, and healthcare facility licensing issues organized in their own separate archive, here.
This list is not complete, and we encourage you to use the search bar at the top of the website to complement our suggestions. You can also simply scroll through the articles using the pagination options below this archive description.
On Motivations/Risks for Investors in China Private Hospitals Markets
- Buying Chinese hospitals is a niche game (Nikkei Asian Review)
- Three Kinds of Chinese Private Hospitals
- Virtues of NOT Aligning Expectations With Chinese Hospital Partners
- What Drives Western Hospital Systems Expanding Into China?
- The Difficult Patient: GPs Challenged by Hospital Investments (Asian Venture Capital Journal)
- Do China’s SOEs Offer Any Insights to Healthcare Operators?
- The Reality Behind China’s Public-to-Private Hospital Opportunity
China Private Hospitals Market Access Issues Series
- Market Access Issues in China – Part 1
- Market Access Issues in China – Part 2
- Market Access Issues in China – Part 3
- Market Access Issues in China – Part 4
- Market Access Issues in China – Part 5
On the Reality of Foreign Invested Hospitals and Government Interests
- China Fully Foreign Owned Hospitals – Field Notes
- China's Government Says Not to More Public Hospitals...wait, what?
- China Healthcare Joint Ventures and WFOEs
- China’s Hospital Sector and Foreign Investment. A Silver Lining
- Hospital Privatization in China it is Not
- The rise of restructured private hospitals in 2nd and 3rd tier Chinese cities?
The Importance of Insurance Payments/Insurance Payment Basics
- How can foreign healthcare service providers get a bite of China’s medical insurance plans?
- What Should We Know about the Merger of China’s Urban and Rural Resident Basic Medical Insurance Schemes?
- What One Chinese Hospital’s Struggles Suggest About China’s Insurance Reforms
- Getting Reimbursed from China’s Public Healthcare Insurance Plans
- What does it mean to say that the majority of China’s population has health insurance?
On New/Unique Models of Healthcare in China
- Disrupting Health In China: Giving Buildings Away
- Inside a Chinese Military Hospital
- How Big Public Hospitals Force Smaller Hospitals to Adapt
- Could non-public employees in China’s public hospitals gauge healthcare demand?
On Chinese Physicians and China Private Hospitals (key problems)
- An Inside Look At a Chinese Hospital, Part (n+1)
- Food for thought: On Increasing Doctor’s Salaries in a Socialist State
- Socialist philosophy of healthcare and reality of fee for service system
- Western physicians in China see things differently
- How hospital debt is tied to prestige projects by hospital heads
Over the last several years, a significant part of our practice has revolved around helping western healthcare companies understand not just China, but their broader international strategy. As I've written about in the past, our engagements usually come in one of two forms: up front, when we can help drive strategy or after the fact, when we help clean things up - typically around a JV that needs to be dissolved, a territory that needs to be shut down, or a specific part of their business that just isn't performing like it needs to in order … [Read more...] about Think Global, Act Local
Zhongmei Health is Going Public in HK It was reported two days ago that Carlyle Group made a USD 64 million investment in Zhongmei Healthcare Group (or Zhongmei Hospital Group, which is used interchangeably), in anticipation of Zhongmei seeking an IPO on the HK stock exchange. Zhongmei Healthcare group specializes in renal care and runs seven hospitals, mostly in Beijing. A year and a half ago I had a sit down with one of Zhongmei's senior executives. When I came out of that meeting, I wrote a rather glowing post about how Zhongmei's … [Read more...] about Zhongmei Healthcare: China Hospital Model Worth Emulating
Chinese Doctors Will Inevitably Move to the Private Market Any private investor, who has experience with hospital or clinic operations in China is concerned over how to access qualified medical human resources in China, and the hardest resources of all to access are Chinese doctors. Several months ago, we discussed this challenge with the case of Xiamen Chang Gung. However, signals from the China's National People's Congress, which was just closed last week, shows the potential change of direction regarding human resource management in … [Read more...] about Chinese Doctors Pivot Towards Private Practice
Initial thoughts on the Bain Capital China Hospital Deal Last week I posted some speculations on why Bain Capital may have acquired Asia Pacific Medical Group, a relatively small player in China's healthcare arena, for its first China hospital deal. In that post, I pointed out where I think APMG sits on the spectrum of healthcare providers doing work in China: Asia Pacific Medical Group, Ltd., is a hospital group, but it is perhaps more accurately described as a specialty healthcare services provider that has cracked the nut when it comes to … [Read more...] about Bain Capital China Hospital Deal: Two More Thoughts
Proceed with the understanding that I put this article squarely in "Damjan is speculating based on prior experience" category. I've reached out to people who will know more, and we'll update this story in the next few weeks with more facts...Yesterday Bain Capital LLC announced that it was paying USD 150 million for a controlling interest in Asia Pacific Medical Group, Ltd. For good general coverage, see here:Mingtiandi: Bain Capital Buys Asian Hospital Chain for $150 Mil WSJ: Bain Capital Bets On an Aging ChinaThe move adds … [Read more...] about Asia Pacific Medical Group & Bain: Deal Drivers